If you learn to unlock the amazing power of berries, it may be all you need for optimal health.
Berries are one of the most talked-about health foods on the planet.
However, unlike many “health foods” berries live up to the hype and should be part of any diet you choose to improve your heath and protect you from illness.
So, see what all the fuss is about and get the power of berries for yourself.
Health Boosting Nutrient
Berries contain extremely high levels of Dietary Fiber
We know fiber primarily because it prevents or relieves constipation, but it has multiple other health benefits, such as lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- Fiber lowers blood cholesterol levels
- Aids in weight loss. Because foods high in fiber require more chewing time, they give your body more time to register that you’re not hungry anymore, which makes it less likely that you’ll overeat.
In addition, fiber “bulks up” a meal, and stays around longer, so you stay full longer…cutting down on “extra eating.”
- Managanese: This is a trace mineral necessary for normal brain and nerve function. It’s found in small amounts mostly in our bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas. It also helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors, and sex hormones, and affects our fat and carbohydrate metabolism, our absorption of calcium and it regulates blood sugar.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is needed by our bodies to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle, and blood vessels, and to help us absorb iron.
- Vitamin K: This vitamin helps our blood clot, and with maintaining bone health.
As if that weren’t enough good reasons to eat berries, many experts believe that one of the primary reasons adding them to our diets is due to the health-boosting properties of anthocyanins.
- Anthocyanins: These are compounds found in plants, especially in berries, that have powerful antioxidant properties.
- They are help prevent inflammation, are antimicrobial and have an effect on blood vessels and cholesterol. It is strongly believed they play a significant role in reducing the risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
Eating More Berries
Berries are one of the tastiest fruits around, so adding them to your diet is not that difficult. Here are a few serving suggestions:
1) Berries And Yogurt: Berries are a great way to flavor natural yogurt. For optimal taste, add the berries to the yogurt the night before and then leave them in the fridge overnight. This allows all the juices to soak into the yogurt and really enriches the flavour.
2)Berry Blast Fruit Salad: To make this one get a selection of your favourite berries and place them all in a bowl. Then get one or more of your favourite berry juices, add them to the bowl and leave all the ingredients to soak overnight. I find that a mixture of 75% berries, 25% juice works best but play around and see what works for you.
3) Berry Smoothies:If you have a blender, smoothies are a great way to mix it up. Simply put your ingredients in a blender, pour them into a cup and then enjoy. Try blending half a cup of blueberries, half a cup of raspberries, half a cup of strawberries, half a cup of ice cubes, half a cup of yogurt, 1 banana and 1 cup of milk for a very tasty, berry filled smoothie. You can also get plenty more berry based smoothies by visiting this website.
Make eating more berries a priority, and unlock the powerful benefits that will make a positive difference for your health and your life.
© Copyright 2013 Kelli Roig RN, All rights Reserved. Written For: HealthyWeightLossSmoothies.Com Buffer